About Us – Brief History and Links with the Community
Cowpen Methodist Church had a very humble beginning at the end of the 19th Century, holding services in someone’s ‘front’ room and later in a Butcher’s shop.
Owing to the committed perseverance of a few dedicated Christians who believed they had been given a vision by God to establish a permanent Christian witness in the area, a more substantial building was built on Cowpen Road in 1901. It was known locally as ‘The Tin Mission’ the building still stands today, although rather derelict now, opposite the Windmill pub.
Our present building was erected in 1956. It was built as a dual-purpose building with one main hall which was used as a worship sanctuary on Sundays and for various youth activities and other meetings mid-week.
In 1981 we celebrated our Silver Jubilee and by then we had altered the inside of the main hall and built on a small worship room and new vestry and toilets at the side – most of the money coming from the sale of the some of the land surrounding the main building.
By 2006 when we celebrated our Golden Jubilee, many more alterations to the building had been made; most of them aesthetic or for pratical reasons
We now hold regular coffee mornings as a means of serving the local community and these are being very well supported.
All-age worship is soon to be re-introduced now that we have Rainbows and Guides using the premises and many more families seeking infant baptism.
Do come and join us for worship on a Sunday or sample any of our mid-week activities. You will be most welcome!